There might be nothing better than an almond flavored cookie. This recipe has exactly that and a chocolate hazelnut filling – Nutella! I’ll definitely be making these for my next family get together. They’re not too sweet, but have a rich, tangy, nutty flavor profile. Prep the dough in advance for chilling in the fridge, and spread the nutella filling after cookies bake and are chilled again.
- 10 minutes to make dough
- 1 hour chill time
- 8-9 minute bake time
- 2 sticks unsalted butter – room temperature
- 2/3 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 c. flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- Nutella (about 1/2 jar)
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a mixer. Then, add in the almond extract & egg.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the mixer.
- Keep the mixer on low until a dough forms. You’ll need to scrape the ingredients from the sides of the bowl a few times. Finish putting the dough together using your hands.
- Form dough into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for one hour.
- When cookies are done chilling, preheat oven to 350F.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface until it’s a little under 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut cookies into 2″ rounds. Place on parchment – lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 – 9 minutes. Note: the cookies should be a pale color, not browned.
- Place cookies back in the fridge to cool.
- Once cooled, add desired sized dollop of Nutella to the center of a cookie round. Place another cookie round on top. Press down lightly. Repeat with all the cookies.