This flourless chocolate cake is (probably) the best dessert I’ve made in a while. I’m not an avid baker, because of so much sugar, butter etc. But this cake is so fluffy! And its packed with dark chocolate, which is so much less sugar than milk chocolate. The chocolate sauce is the perfect addition, making the cake decadent like a brownie. The fluffy batter texture allows this cake to be stored in the freezer and when you take it out, it needs no time for heating up and is still soft.
- 3 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 7 oz. chocolate bars (I used Lindt a touch of sea salt dark chocoalte & 85% cocoa, dark chocolate)
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tbs. instant-espresso powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbs. vanilla extract
- 1/4 c. cocoa
- 1/4 c. stick butter
- 1/3 c. buttermilk
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat over to 350 degrees. Line springform pan with parchment round. Spray non stick spray onto parchment.
- Melt the butter & chocolate in microwave. Stir every 60 seconds until fully combined.
- Add egg yolks and 1/2 c. sugar to mixing bowl. Beat together using your mixer on high speed, about 4 minutes. Add espresso powder, salt, and vanilla. Stir until combined. Then add the melted chocolate and mix on low until combined, about 1 minute.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add your egg whites. Beat using your mixer on high for about 5 – 7 minutes, until they form stiff peaks. Add 1/2 c. sugar. Mix again for one minute. Pour the melted chocolate into the egg white mixture and fold ingredients together.
- Pour batter into springform pan.
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes.
- While cake bakes, bring butter, cocoa and buttermilk to a boil.
- Quickly beat in sifted confectioner’s sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth.
- Pour over cake when ready.