One of my favorite ways to wind down has always been to watch a great movie or TV series. And on a rainy day like what we have in Chicago today, popcorn is a perfect snack to accompany a favorite TV series.
This popcorn has a couple key ingredients to have it reign over all other popcorn recipes. Rosemary, olive oil and sea salt. This popcorn has a fragrant smell, and is semi-bitter, semi-sweet using dark chocolate chips. If you like semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips, feel free to substitute.
Prep time is only 10 minutes, plus maybe 30 minutes in the fridge.
- 1 c. popcorn kernels
- 1/2 c. dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 c. slivered almonds
- 2 tsp. sea salt, ground up
- 1 tsp. rosemary, minced
- 6 Tbs. olive oil
- In a large, heavy pot, add olive oil and popcorn kernels. Turn heat on high, and cover with lid.
- While popcorn heats and pops, mix salt and rosemary together in a small bowl.
- Also while popcorn is popping, add slivered almonds to a pan and toast until golden brown. Set aside in small bowl.
- Remove popcorn from heat when you hear the kernels popping 2 – 3 seconds apart, to ensure none of the kernels burn. Pour popcorn into large bowl.
- Heat chocolate in microwave for 30 seconds. Then stir. Repeat until chocolate is fully melted. Add 4 Tbs. olive oil to melted chocolate, and place back in microwave for 10 seconds. Stir.
- Pour chocolate & almonds over the top of popcorn. Using 2 large spoons, carefully toss the popcorn until chocolate and almonds are evenly dispersed over the popcorn.
- Add half the salt mixture over the popcorn. Toss. Then add the other half of salt mixture and toss so the salt is evenly dispersed in popcorn.
- Add parchment paper to a metal sheet tray. Pour popcorn onto sheet tray and put in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Remove from fridge, toss popcorn, and place back in fridge for 15 more minutes.