Not that you should ever feel guilty about eating doughnuts, but this may be the healthiest doughnut recipe I’ve created or eaten so far. It’s got sour cream instead of anything heavy. The doughnut batter also has vanilla protein in it and there’s matcha in the frosting.
So if you’re looking for a light, refreshing protein packed pastry, (with plenty of sugar) let’s get to it.
Vanilla Protein Batter
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 ½ Tbs. vanilla protein powder
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbs. melted unsalted butter
- 1 large egg white
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp matcha green tea powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2–3 Tbs. water
- Handful of pistachios
- Combine dry batter ingredients in a large bowl. Mix.
- Add wet batter ingredients to dry ingredients, adding the melted butter last. Mix to combine into a batter.
- Spray doughnut pan with non stick spray. Then pour doughnut batter into each doughnut mold, about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350° F.
- While the doughnuts are baking, create the matcha glaze by combining all glaze ingredients into a bowl. Mix until smooth.
- When doughnuts are golden brown, remove from oven and flip doughnuts onto a cutting board.
- Refill the doughnut molds and bake until you’ve used all the batter.
- When doughnuts are cool, dip the top half of each doughnut into the matcha glaze.
- Sprinkle peeled pistachios over the doughnuts.